Sunday 17 August 2014

Dresses Galore...

After coming to the heart breaking realisation that my wardrobe is losing more and more space within it to fit all of my clothes; I believe that it is time to share with you a few of my staple (and of course vintage) pieces of 2014. As a keen dress wearer, I'd say it's first priority to show you my mountain of beautiful, yet also probably-too-dressy to wear everyday, dresses. It was a hard job but I've chosen 7 of my favourites and I'm going to be shimmying them your way!

7) 90's flower power, drop hem dress:


I found this little beauty amongst rails and rails of colourful garments at Judy's Affordable Vintage Fair in Lincoln. It wasn't too expensive at around £15 and I knew that I'd wear it throughout summer. The pattern is simply stunning with its bold edge yet feminine and dainty approach. This piece is branded as St Michael's, and any vintage lover knows that one of these find's is always a happy time. The only down side to this dress for me is the drop hem. Now, I know that this is actually a current fashion trend at the moment but for me, as a curvier girl, the lower hem just makes me look larger than necessary and doesn't pull me in at the waist for a flattering touch. 









6) 60's Chinese shift dress:


This is one of the most beautiful dresses that I own due to its hand embroidered style and well tailored fashion. I picked this up at a local Vintage and Craft Fair for a measly £10. It was sold to me as an original dress handmade in China in the 1960s. As this dress has no label, I thoroughly believe the story. The style isn't similar to any other dress that I have as the material is thick, stiff and luxurious. This straight, shift dress is however a struggle to wear on hotter, summer days as it is very tight and restrictive. Nonetheless, it is a true one of a kind beauty which I can wear and be assured that nobody else around here will have. 










5) 60's shift dress:


This was one of the first dresses which I bought from a vintage fair in 2013. The pastel colours of lilac, orange and powder blue attracted me as they aren't usually colours that I would associate with each other. The dress was only £7 and at such a cheap price how could I ever pass up the offer? The style of this dress is one of my favourites due to the two pockets attached on either side of the waist. When I bought this dress I was a little larger than I am now so in order to wear it these days, I have to pull the waist in with either a belt or a piece of material. I prefer to use a rolled up piece of scrap material in either light blue or lilac so that I can tie it up at the back and make a sweet, little bow to set the dress off. 









4) Mode local, 60s style dress:  


I found this stunning dress in a nearby charity shop. It was sold under the vintage section and had the tendency's of an older made dress due to it's flared style. The bright red seemed to draw me in as I could see myself wearing this in the summer and contrasting it with some white, chunky heeled sandals. I chose this outfit choice many times this summer and it never failed to brighten up my day! The brand is Mode, which is a local shop but there isn't a date stated inside the dress. It comes with an attached belt which you can bring to the front for a singed waist and beautiful bow or it can be tied at the back for a figure hugging, less noticeable pull. 









3) Handmade 60s shift dress:


I entered an expensive looking vintage shop in Lincoln and never thought i'd walk away with so many buys. This lemon dress was the first item to catch my eye. I had been looking for yellow dress for so long because of the song 'That's What Love Will Do' By Joe Brown. For £35 I can now wear this and imagine a man taking me to a dance and singing "THAAAT YELLOW DRESSSS SHE WORE WHEN WE WENT DANCING SUNDAY NIGHT!" The only down side to this dress is the fact that it's just above the knee- which for me is an exceptionally long length. It makes the dress seem much more posh than it actually is which restricts me from wearing it day-to-day. I've been looking around for a tailor however as a simple job of taking it up shouldn't take too much time or cost too much. The colour has been a fabulous choice for this summer as it's bright enough to make a statement without looking ridiculous. 





2) 60s Wiggle dress:



This dress was bought from the same shop as the yellow dress above. It was also priced at £35 but with student discount, I was tempted into buying it. When hung up on a clothes hanger, this dress looked limp and flat but when I entered the changing room to try it on- I was soon absolutely amazed! The dress hugged my body so very tightly and proved to me how deceiving vintage shopping can be. As the style is a wiggle dress- a fond style of the mid 1960s, it is as tight on the bottom as it is on the top. This leaves the waist line looser and so every time I walk, it moves with me. I feel incredibly sexy in this dress and would recommend the style to every single girl in the world! As it is simple to look at due to the block colour; I like to wear a bold, statement necklace with it to dress it up or if I want to leave it natural looking then I tend to stick to a thin gold chain. 






1) Psychedelic 60s collared dress:


And here we are at my number one favourite dress! It is safe to say that this psychedelic, zip-front dress is the BEST DRESS I HAVE EVER PURCHASED. I recently found this at a vintage fair in Whitby for only £14! The multiple patterns combine to make an absolute stand out piece which allows me to be noticed for all the right reasons wherever I go! I like to wear this dress pulled in at the waist with a thin brown belt as it adds a shape to the straight shift effect. I love this dress as the zip front allows me to either show off a high peter pan collar or a low chest reveal. This can change depending on my mood and depending on the occasion! The material of this dress is also so easy to wash without distorting the shape. Overall, this dress is such a fun piece to wear and makes me feel like a definite 60s girl wherever I roam! 

No comments:

Post a Comment